[lbo-talk] Scott McConnell: How They Get Away With It

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 07:05:48 PDT 2005

My cousin, Scott McConnell, wrote:
> "....In the absence of an antiwar movement or serious
> domestic political opposition, only the outside world
> can put the brakes on American policy—only when Bush's
> war plans come up against foreign obstacles that
> produce a dramatic defeat or humiliation or generate a
> financial crisis that the administration can't
> overcome. Barring that, the American future may be war
> for as long as anyone can foresee."

It's a pretty good analysis, but we should remember that this magazine is the voice of the Pat Buchanan folks. If I understand McConnell's view correctly (from e-mails I've exchanged with him), he's a Buchananite because he wants to shut out immigrants from the US -- in order to preserve the class system. (He used to edit the NY POST.)

I'd also say that "war forever" doesn't work well as a prediction since the US power elite is facing limits of the number of soldiers they can recruit voluntarily and because of budgetary considerations.

-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.