[lbo-talk] nuts watching nuts

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Jul 11 11:10:24 PDT 2005

amh5 at email.vccs.edu wrote:

> Chuck O,
>
> This may sound somewhat basic, but I am interested in hearing what you view is the actual point of actions like
> what happened in San Francisco or like what happened here in Washington DC when a group of anarchists decided to
> try trashing Adams-Morgan during the inaguration protests. (For you all, Adams-Morgan is a pretty multi-ethinc
> nieghborhood, gentrifying really fast though. I'm not trying to bait you, but I have not really heard any though
> explanation for such actions.

Adams Morgan is not "gentrifying," it was gentrified years ago. Adams Morgan is filled with corporate chains and yuppie bars and is an entirely appropriate target for some anti-capitalist fun.

Adams Morgan may still be a multi-ethnic neighborhood, but only in the sense that some of the middle and upper class people living there are people of color. The lower class folks are desperately hanging on, if any of them are left.

I have one friend who lives near 18th and Columbia Rd. He's an older white radical who has lived there for years. He doesn't have much money and is facing increasing pressure to move out as young white people take over his apartment building, which used to be more multi-ethnic and working class.

If you are going to start smashing capitalism, you have to go where capitalism is, right? ;-)

Chuck