The linguistic bubble! (was: Re: [Fwd: Re: [lbo-talk] Obscurequestion on origin of ethnic slur])

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Jul 11 14:35:25 PDT 2005

> Further proof that American culture thrives on fear.

I meant to mention the the other day when people were talking about London's "stiff upper lip" -- I think I saw the word "STOIC" several times in big headlines. Isn't it possible that people are less fearful than the media would like to portray them, so when they didn't stay home the media labelled it as extreme in the other direction?

I mean really: what the fuck are we supposed to do about random senseless acts of violence? It seems just as likely that we'd get mowed down by an octogenarian at a farmer's market, and yet that "threat" doesn't bring out the shock troops.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050708/photos_ts_afp/050708195627_1gz07g4h_photo0