[lbo-talk] nuts on nuts

Mark Rickling mrickling at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 14:52:54 PDT 2005

On 7/11/05, Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:

> Why should the assholes who make money off of
> serving alchol to yuppies from Vienna get some kind of free pass from
> anti-capitalist activists? Perhaps you can point out a cooperatively run
> business in Adams Morgan that was targeted by activists?

Chuck, you're being disingenuous when you paint a picture of Adams-Morgan as a homogenously yuppie enclave. It's true it's rapidly gentrifying, and that bars on 18th St. cater to Washington's version of the bridge and tunnel crowd, but the stores on Columbia Rd. between 18th and 16th streets are still overwhelmingly working-class and Latino. No self-respecting young urban professional would be caught dead in the KFC or the McDonald's on Columbia, two targets of the protest [sic] march. I was at the counter-inaugrual show which preceded the march, and declined to march down to the Hinkley Hilton because I was put off by the juvenile "let's fuck shit up" mentality and the self-preening radicalism of the whole affair.

What's the point of spray painting cars of ordinary District residents? How does this effect social change? -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20050711/8ae77dc6/attachment.htm>