The linguistic bubble! (was: Re: [Fwd: Re: [lbo-talk]Obscurequestion on origin of ethnic slur])

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jul 11 15:38:38 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Jordan Hayes wrote:
>
> >I mean really: what the fuck are we supposed to do about random
> >senseless acts of violence?
>
> Commit even larger senseless acts of violence in retaliation?

It may or may not have been an outrageous act, but (on the model of Spain) it was obviously neither random nor senseless. It was certainly, for example, less random and less senseless than the u.s. 1000- plane raid on Hamburg during WW2 -- not to mention the Tokyo firebombing, Dresden, or, more recently, Fallujah.

Carrol