[lbo-talk] "Brits" (as seen by Yanks)

Gary? slade.g at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 21:13:33 PDT 2005

On 7/11/05, James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Gary? scoffs about the 'Brits' (yuck) 'stiff upper lip':
>
> Peculiar metaphor.
> Nero was Emperor of Rome, the British people are only subjects.
> Of course people are interested in why:
> eveeryone is talking about it, the comment pages are full of it.
> But the difficulty is that the bombers' motivations are entirely opaque.

for Nero substitute Bush or Blair. that wasn't a reference to the 'common' people but to the blithe attitude of our esteemed leaders. Of course everybody is talking about it, same as in the US, but not in any meaningful way, there should be riots in the streets. Our governments have lied to us and when caught red handed have ignored our protest, using patriotism and ribbons, fight the common enemy and now, once again, dredging up the spirit of the blitz, 'you need a cuppa tea luv'. No horrifying pictures of mutilated corpses, just cups of tea served up by homely londoners There is a vast evidence of profiteering in Iraq, we know from N. Ireland that when the economy improved the violence subsided, there's lots of talk about it.No action Our governments have done nothing to remove the excuses these bombers use, quite the opposite, adding fuel to the fire, remember Nero., and when the US is asked to extradite Posada , a known terrorist, the hypocrisy is laid bare

> But one thing we know for sure, is that he was not in London on the morning
> of 7 July,
> but in Gleneagles opening the G8 Summit

and what a farce that was, what seeds are we sowing there ? Bush in all his glorious strutting arrogance stating nothing would be done that would harm the US economy, guess what that means. Only Bush is allowed to fuck up the economy for the enrichment of his cronies..

> Perhaps Gary? means that the bombings were payback for Iraq.

not just for Iraq.

> I think it is a mistake to impune rational motives to the bombers.

I wouldn't suggest rational motives, motives yes, certainly not rational.

> I do not read the stoical response as complancency.
> On the contrary, I am rather glad that London is not wallowing in self-pity.

and I suggest that stoical response is nurtured by the powers that be, when we're all singing Vera Lynne hymns over cups of sweet tea we're not doing what we should God, if only the queen mum were alive. ;o)

Gary? ride si sapis