[lbo-talk] London bombings

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 01:52:29 PDT 2005

Apologies for overposting.

Breaking stories: four houses in Yorkshire are being searched in relation to the bombings.

On Radio 4's Today programme this morning:

* 'The Labour Party is to blame for starting an illegal war in Iraq' said ... Nick Griffin, leader of the far-right British National Party. He went on to say that they had also 'lost control of Britain's borders' and argued that the Koran is a terrorist manual. (Which just goes to show that the 'blowback' argument is entirely compatible with a contemptuous attitude to Arabs and Muslims - indeed I think it is intrinsically contemptuous, seeing them as merely reactive, not capable of moral choices.)

* Much scorn is being heaped on the US military after servicemen and women based in Britain were instructed to avoid London. The US Charges D'Affaires here had to answer accusations that he was giving in to terrorists. (here I think that Gary? is right that the 'Stiff Upper Lip' is invoked as a kind of patriotic chauvinism against the cowardly yanks) -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20050712/8202f955/attachment.htm>