[lbo-talk] Fartback

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jul 12 12:40:15 PDT 2005

Doug:
> So why isn't Clinton's reaction also subject to your critique of
> macho vengefulness?

It certainly is, under a different set of circumstances. I quoted this passage as an antidote to knee jerk blaming the US or other developed countries for terrorist activities - which is the backbone of the blowback theory.

I do not think that any civilized and sane person would condone acts of indiscriminate killing, whether in the name of "national security" or a "holy war on infidels." I do not see such actions as the subject of any bona fide debate. What I find debatable is ideological blame games aimed either to exculpate the actual perpetrators or implicate the parties that have nothing to do with the act but are otherwise despised for ideological reasons.

Thus I often take the "third worldist" side (for the lack of a better term) when talking to the "national security" or the "clash of civilizations" crowd, and the "first worldist" side when taking to the "third-worldist" crowd.

Wojtek