[lbo-talk] conspiracy! democrats were trying to takedownadministration!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 12 13:14:11 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

> this, from another list. heh. why do they call people "partisan democrats"?
> what the hell is up with that? at any rate, conspiracy theory from the
> rightwing for a change.

I can't get interested in material re DP-RP squabbles, but on this I would like to remark (invoking a much-hated adverb from communist history) that _all_ conspiracy theory is OBJECTIVELY rightwing. Even when it turns out be true, it is at best harmless and usually fucks up left organizing rather than helps it. Watergate didn't tar "rightists" or conservatives; it tarred politics as such (electoral and non-electoral) and people lost interest in political activity. The Downing Street Memo is probably doing more to clutter antiwar work in useless chatter than it is in drawing people to the movement. Conspiracy theory is either explicitly rightwing _or_, when allegedly leftist, is grounded in despair of ever politicizing masses of people in struggle and the consequent hope in the magical power of conspiracy revealed. But revealing conspiracy merely bores people to death.

Carrol