[lbo-talk] Amnesia Express

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Jul 13 14:00:59 PDT 2005

Dwayne Monroe : I find myself wondering about a few things these days, after finishing perhaps the millionth argument with a war supporter which, of late, moves predictably down the following path:

* war supporter: there were weapons, we had to act

* me: no. no there weren't.

* war supporter: yeah, that's true...but anyway, we freed a people and that was the right thing to do.

* me: large scale aerial bombings, the destruction of an entire city, deaths of civilians by 'errant bombs', mass detentions, random shootings by frightened US troopers and Iraqi National Guard, terrorist bombings, massive unemployment, sporadic power, overwhelmed health-care workers, barely functioning schools and never before seen levels of Jihadi action are not the ingredients of a good thing.

* war supporter: yeah. well, to tell you the truth, i don't really think about this too much now...i'm just focusing on my family.

Pro-war arguments retain their original shape -- WMDs, al Q connections, pre-emptive duty now for the potential threats of the future..., etc -- but, in all but the stupidest people (and in '05 we must be honest and declare that anyone who still believes these fantasies is not merely ideologically blinded, but simply dumb, regardless of their educational background, clean teeth, and language abilities) the constant hammering of revelations, scandals really, but without the expected consequential ooomph, has reduced that once raging fire.

^^^^^^ CB: Here's a law. People don't like to eat crow. They will feign stupidity rather than do it.

(It's more reliable than Godwin's law.)