[lbo-talk] Solzhenitsyn

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 14:34:36 PDT 2005

Most people brought up in Europe learn several languages, while those in the US learn usually only English (and a smattering of another) when young. The problem is that if you don't learn them while young, it's really really hard to learn new ones. (The exception would be those linguistic geniuses, such as Chris perhaps.) So the linguistic disadvantage of the US educational system -- which is an advantage in some "nativist" eyes -- ends up being pretty hard to deal with.

ablohay igpay atinlay...

On 7/13/05, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> C'mon, I know English as my first language, speak
> Russian approximately fluently, read French fluently,
> know German with advanced comprehension ability, and
> have greater-or-lesser capabilities with Greek, Latin,
> Hebrew, and Old Norse. It's not that tough. It just
> requires effort.

-- Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.