[lbo-talk] Amnesia Express

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 14 06:33:49 PDT 2005

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So I'm wondering if maybe, just maybe, the reason
> these things that should be
> scandals aren't is because millions are nervous
> about seeing how far down the
> rabbit hole goes.
>
> If, for example, you accept that the war was
> illegal, you must also accept that
> those deaths directly attributable to coalition
> action are not, as most politely
> say, 'accidents' but actually murders...since they
> needn't have happened at all.

Christ, I'm paying attention and I'm nervous about seeing how far down the rabbit hole is going to go. I'm afraid that people are going to blank it all out until the catastrophe hits home, and maybe not even then.

A draft, instead of a mere political point in the form of a dead-end bill, might help people focus. Give 'em a personal stake missing for most. I didn't think this a year ago. I'll happily eat crow.

Oh, yeah, military families still "support the president". Oh, well.

I've been staggering around grasping for a historical point of reference. Ugly reality getting in the faces of a whole population disguised with the propaganda equivalent of schnoz-n-glasses, and people not even seeing it. Orwell's nationalists may cover your Young Campus Republican Future Chickenhawks of America, but I'm thinking of a more mushy middle.

I suppose it's trite, but I'm trying to keep from going insane. Indulge me.

Andy