[lbo-talk] Fartback

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jul 14 07:24:46 PDT 2005

Kj:
> And then, there is this side -- which I suppose could not be published
> in any NY daily today? --
>
> London, September 4, 1857

The article by Karl Marx you quoted is quite consistent with my earlier argument. I said that wanton killing is unacceptable, regardless of which side commits it and to what end. I argued against attempt to exonerate such killings by ideology - which is often practiced by both the right (our killing of them is justified) and the left (their killing of us is justified). I also suggested arguing the opposite side of such ideological exonerations while talking to the proponents.

The article you quoted does just that - it counters the outcry of Western propaganda machine over Third World barbarism with a claim that the supposedly "civilized" people were equally barbaric.

Wojtek