[lbo-talk] Low Life (was "Come friendly bombers" )

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jul 14 10:07:07 PDT 2005

At 09:56 AM 7/14/2005, Richard Harris wrote:

>snitsnat wrote:
>James! The last thing Carl is is someone who is gleeful at their deaths.
>***********************
>I read snitsnat's comment in an earlier message and rather hoped it was
>true. I then read Remick's message to the list:
>"Steady on, James. Whatever happened to that famed stiff upper lip?"
>Well, I think that's national stereotyping of a despicable sort.
>Remick appears to think the recent murders of Londoners are appropriate
>objects for humour - just as he appears to think that now is the time to
>sneer at a song written during the height of the Nazi bombing of London.
>No doubt Remick chose that song to sneer at because of the link to bombing
>London workers.
>The evidence points to Remick being a pompous sneering buffoon.

James and Remick have been feuding for years -- over what, exactly, I've forgotten. I rather think that Remick was poking a stick at James, partly because of the feud, but also because James was baiting. What can you do with someone who baits except mock the person who does it. Answering them is, as Carrol frequently points out, to take it seriously is to either continue an unethical mode of discourse and to ignore it is to assent to a lie."

There's nothing in what Remick says to indicate that he agrees anyone deserves to be bombed. Last I knew, he worked in NYC and was pretty close to what happened here in the states. Thus, what you're saying is that Remick believes _he_ deserves to die because if he believes Londoners deserved it, then surely he believes USers did and do.

Carl may be a lovable curmudgeon, he doesn't appear suicidal to me.

kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin