[lbo-talk] Low Life (was "Come friendly bombers" )

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 14 10:05:11 PDT 2005

Carl Remick wrote:

> Full disclosure: The horror of dying in, or even surviving, a subway blast
> is not lost on me. Many years of NYC mass transit commuting aggravated my
> claustrophobic instincts to the point that I can easily get a panic attack
> just on *surface* transit

T. S. Eliot on the London Subway.

Here is a place of disaffection Time before and time after In a dim light: neither daylight Investing form with lucid stillness Turning shadow into transient beauty With slow rotation suggesting permanence Nor darkness to purify the soul Emptying the sensual with deprivation Cleansing affection from the temporal. Neither plenitude nor vacancy. Only a flicker Over the strained time-ridden faces Distracted from distraction by distraction Filled with fancies and empty of meaning Tumid apathy with no concentration Men and bits of paper, whirled by the cold wind That blows before and after time, Wind in and out of unwholesome lungs Time before and time after. Eructation of unhealthy souls Into the faded air, the torpid Driven on the wind that sweeps the gloomy hills of London, Hampstead and Clerkenwell, Campden and Putney, Highgate, Primrose and Ludgate. Not here Not here the darkness, in this twittering world.

Descend lower, descend only Into the world of perpetual solitude, World not world, but that which is not world, Internal darkness, deprivation And destitution of all property, Dessication of the world of sense, Evacuation of the world of fancy, Inoperancy of the world of spirit; This is the one way, and the other Is the same, not in movement But abstention from movement; while the world moves In appentency, on its metalled ways Of time past and time future.