[lbo-talk] Low Life (was "Come friendly bombers" )

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:49:51 PDT 2005

> Foreign policy, British and American, is obviously a big part of the
> story, but these guys were British, and hardly poor. So the mechanism
> is a bit more complex than simple blowback.
>
> Doug

Comment on http://www.google.com/search?q=poverty+terrorism+correlation http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/archives/2005/05/terrorism_and_p_1.html http://www.irs.princeton.edu/krueger/terrorism2.pdf

even though Krueger is right-wing, don't lefties and liberals overdo the poverty breeds terrorism line? If I get around to reading, "Understanding Terror Networks, " by Marc Sageman, based on examination of the backgrounds of hundreds of terrorists, would I be confirmed in my hunch that the upper and middle class produces far more terrorist cadre than the poor?

>From the blog>...Fortunately, a few studies do systematically analyze
the relation between poverty and terrorism. Harvard economist Alberto Abadie has recently studied both terrorism within a country and transnational terrorism for almost 200 nations (NBER Working Paper No. 10859). He estimates the poverty-terror relation after controlling for the degree of political freedom, religious and ethnic heterogeneity, and other variables. He finds little net relation between the degree of terrorism and poverty, where poverty is measured by per capita GDP, the degree of inequality within a country, and a couple of other ways.

Clearly, terrorism is important when there is political, ethnic, religious, and other conflicts between groups. Jewish terrorist organizations attacked the British army in Palestine, the Tamils oppose the Sinhalese and Moslems in Sri Lanka, the Moslems and Hindus of India and Pakistan continue to battle, the IRA has attacked both the British and protestants in Northern Ireland, and so on for many other examples. Abadie finds these connections as well as an important relation between terrorism and the degree of freedom. Countries with the greatest political freedom, such as Western Europe, the United States, and Japan generally have relatively little terrorism, although a number of exceptions include Germanys Baader-Meinhof terrorists and Italys Red Brigades. Highly oppressive regimes effectively deter terrorism by close surveillance of their populations, and by severe punishments to apprehended members of terrorist groups. Countries in the middle ranges of political rights usually suffer the most from terrorism, perhaps because as Abadie conjectures, these countries are in political transition, with considerable disorganization and conflict.

Alan Krueger and Jitka Malechova examined the backgrounds of about 130 suicide bombers from Hezbollah in Lebanon who died on missions between 1982-1994. They found that these bombers were not poorer but rather were much more educated and better off economically than the general Lebanese population. One of Kruegers graduate students at Princeton found similar results for Palestinian bombers: a much smaller fraction came from poor backgrounds than is the fraction of poor in the Palestinian population as a whole, while more than half of all bombers went beyond a high school education compared to a small percentage of the Palestinian population who did.

I agree with the basic conclusions of the studies by Abadie, Krueger et al, and of a few others that poverty is not directly an important cause of terrorism. But a couple of significant qualifications are in order. The first is a technical point that may be crucial in interpreting some of the evidence. Any terrorist organization has available a supply of potential suicide bombers or other terrorists who have different levels of education and economic opportunities. To make my point in a simple way, suppose all potential bombers gain the same utility from destroying members of a hated group, such as Israelis, through successful attacks that are likely also to kill the bombers. Suppose too, they suffer to the same extent if they fail in their missions-they may be captured without hurting anyone, or they may only kill themselves.

Recruits with good economic opportunities would only be willing to undertake suicide missions that have a relatively high likelihood of destroying some enemies too. For they would not be willing to go on missions that have little chance of succeeding since they would then prefer safer terrorist activities, or doing well economically while working peacefully. In this case, relatively highly educated terrorists will be sent on missions that are more likely to succeed in destroying their enemies as well as themselves. As a result, the education and other determinants of the economic opportunities of successful bombers will exceed the opportunities of bombers who fail (and who may be captured).

Similarly, the education of captured bombers would be less than the education of all bombers since low educated individuals, such as the many teenagers sent on suicide efforts to Israel, would go on missions with smaller chances of succeeding. To protect against these misleading interpretations, the sample of bombers or other terrorists must be representative of all terrorists- not mainly either failures or successes before reliable conclusions can be drawn about the relation between economic opportunities and the recruitment of terrorists. This analysis suggests that the Krueger- Malechova study of Hezbollah terrorists who died on their missions may be biased toward their finding that terrorism and variables like education appear to be positively related.

A second possible qualification would arise if the process of rapid economic development reduces terrorism by orienting more educated and abler individuals toward advancing economically rather than toward terrorist activities. I have not done a systematic study of the link between say economic growth and terrorism, but nations or regions that are experiencing rapid growth appear to have lower incidences of terrorism. Continuing economic growth also eventually leads to greater democracy, so a positive link between economic growth and democracy and a negative link between growth and terrorism could help explain the observed negative relation between terrorism and democracy.

-- Michael Pugliese