[lbo-talk] RE: 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America

samsara 1957 samsara1957 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 14 11:52:17 PDT 2005

Has anyone looked at Bernard Goldberg's "100 People Who Are Screwing Up America (and Al Franken Is #37)"? I just want to see who the 100 people are. (I don't think it's worth buying.)

is Doug on the list? -- Jim Devine

Last night on the Daily Show, Jon Stewart interviewed the author. IIRC, Jon tore apart Goldberg's culturally conservative set up of Hollywood as the west coast liberal antithesis of the good conservative Washington east coast. Jon pointed out that the real power and influence lies in Washington, not a bunch of entertainers in Hollywood, so what's the point of setting up straw targets, like singling out people like Barbara Streisand as agents of cultural destruction, when there are so many with real power in Washington who are actively destroying this country? Streisand's just a singer for chrissakes. She's not making policy decisions. Why didn't Goldberg go after those in power in Washington? Made the guy squirm in his seat.

For a humorous take, but probably correct, on who those in power are in Washington, see craigslist.org's Best Of: http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/79370761.html "Welcome my little interns." On who to screw and who to shun.

Sam

_________________________________________________________________ On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to get there! http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement