[lbo-talk] nuts watching nuts (smashing windows)

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 15:12:55 PDT 2005

On 7/15/05, Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> JD>...I NEVER called you J. Edgar Hoover.
>
> JD>...Last thing we need is McCarthyism
>
> The diff. being?

In this context, "McCarthyism" referred to an attitude or behavior, while Jedgar was a person (who looked quite good in a LBD, BTW).

Jedgar practiced McCarthyism so much that he became one of its embodiments, even long before the Truman-McCarthy era, but not all of those who practice McCarthyism end up that way, because they grow up, become more broad-minded, willing to think for themselves, etc.

(BTW, have people seen or heard the musical "J. Edgar!," co-authored by Harry Shearer? Fun.)

Jim Devine "Segui il tuo corso, e lascia dir le genti." (Go your own way and let people talk.) -- Karl, paraphrasing Dante.