[lbo-talk] Great Whites - Polish jokes not appreciated.

Peter Lavelle untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 15:20:38 PDT 2005

Given history, why shouldn't Poles be treated this way by Russians today? It is not like the Poles are willing to let history be history and DEAL WITH THE PRESENT - Russia has actually tried to do this for almost a decade. Having lived among the Poles for over 10 years, I find it disappointing that many Poles still feel the need to define themselves through Russophobia (probably because the EU really doesn't care about Poland).

Many small nations demanding to be accepted more than they should be in the international arena often find the "negative other" legitimizes their displeasure with their limited recognition in the present. The best example of this syndrome is France (now against the the UK and the US)- always trying to punch in a higher class than it really deserves.

Poland can do much better - it is a place I miss everyday. Norman Davies may be right, it is the "heart of Europe" - with all the contradictions of what "Europe" means today.

BTW Chris, the same joke you cite was used in the inverse way in Poland during the 1980s - depending on political taste.