[lbo-talk] Low Life (was "Come friendly bombers" )

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Jul 15 16:11:04 PDT 2005

> Nathan Newman wrote:
>
>>So the Krueger paper is interesting but a bit beside the point to most
>>issues of terrorism and global support.
>
> Why, because it presents actual evidence instead of conjecture?

No, because a lot of us see a big difference between the issues that exercise the rage of Palestinians against Israel and those mobilizing the more incoherent rage fueling support for Bin Laden.

My point was that the emphasis on opinion polls among Palestinians in the Krueger piece made me skeptical of its application.

>>But the connection between general crime and poverty is well established.
>>See this paper for some of the recent literature review:
>>http://www.econ.upenn.edu/Centers/pier/Events/crime-ier-04-01-03.pdf
>
> We weren't talking about ordinary crimes - we were talking about
> terrorism. So the point of bringing this up eludes me.

Ummm-- I was responding to Wojtek who made the much broader statement-- "The connection between poverty and delinquency (of which terrorism is an extreme form) is a ruse devised by social reformers to provide ammunition for their anti-poverty programs."

Haven't you noticed that threads change their discussion focus rather quickly :)