[lbo-talk] Re: Low Life (was "Come friendly bombers" )

Autoplectic autoplectic at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 19:49:22 PDT 2005

On 7/15/05, James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I know that some listers are struggling to understand the obvious, the
> bombers were motivated by an Islamist belief, not an anti-imperialist one.

Unless I've gotten serious memory deficits in the last 24 hours I don't recall anyone on the list asserting that the attack on the London subway/bus system was an anti-imperialist or Islamist -inspired act of cruelty, only that there was a causal connection between what happened and the invasion/occupation of Iraq.

While the attack is causally overdetermined, it is, at this point in time, theoretically underdetermined and the contending hypotheses that are thus far proffered shouldn't become yet another occasion for zero-sum oneupmanship rituals with their attendant misrepresentations, exploitations of textual indeterminacy yada yada.....

Ian