[lbo-talk] What caused the bombers to bomb?

Richard Harris rhh1 at clara.co.uk
Sat Jul 16 17:32:26 PDT 2005

> Pakistanis, being marginalized in British
> society, probably didn't get much help to build the family and community
> structures needed to survive (and rationalize) life in somewhat hostile
> British industrial society.
>
> Watching your family and friends being treated like dirt... or even
> hearing about it through communal oral history... seeing it's effects
> on the parents, and grandparents...general estrangement from the
> adopted society... diffuse, obfuscated anger.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm sorry but this does not fit reality. The Pakistani community has one of the most stable family bases in Britain. I've NEVER met a person of Pakistani heritage who regards themselves as part of a Pakistani community - or, sometimes, of being of Pakistani heritage. The owner of my local corner shop told me, when I asked him about this: 'I'm as British as you'. And he is. My experience, I'm sure, is skewed ...

Family disintegration (i.e. a single mum - occasionally dad - with children) is seen most in the a) Afro-Caribbean working class b) white working class (Social Trends 2004).

The text above is a just so story. It is not true that British Pakistanis are all unerring victims of racism. This treats the white? working class as a load of scum. (I could not have written this twenty years ago).

Can you find a British ethnic minority publication that claims that their readers are beleaguered by racism?

It isn't helpful in thinking through these difficult issues to just sit at a keyboard and guess what the 'facts' must be: "probably didn't"

p.s. Comrade Remick,

I'm sorry to have blasted you so heavily. I have now read quite a few of your messages and realise that I must have misinterpreted the spirit of your messages, and thus their meaning.

Keep well

Richard.