[lbo-talk] sordid and legal to boot.....

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jul 17 11:38:55 PDT 2005

At 02:21 PM 7/17/2005, Miles Jackson wrote:

>I guess it's not too surprising that a college professor and a
>professor-turned-lawyer would switch on "public debate" mode; it's
>more or less what we've paid to do. The "on Joe S's view" thing
>doesn't bug me, though (Justin also did that with me in the
>homosexuality thread, and I just did it to him right here!).
>When I post this, I'm not having a dyadic conversation with you, Kel;
>I'm saying something in a public space in the midst of hundreds
>of people, any of whom might respond. I really don't see
>how LBO--or even a particular thread on LBO!--could be like
>a conversation between two people. In a public forum, we
>sometimes need to refer to one of the many participants by name,
>because we're not just talking to that one person.
>
>That said, I agree Kel's point that we should strive for
>constructive discussion and avoid logical fallacies. (Sorry,
>couldn't resist the third person here, but it actually
>illustrates my point.)
>
>Miles

have you ever noticed that your approach to discussion is the minority approach? :) could there maybe be a reason for it, particularly since many of us are no strangers to being professors?

You, Jus', Heartfield, Lacny, and Chuck0 use it. There may be a few other irregular posters, but the vast majority of people treat this as a discussion between colleagues over dinner --not necessarily dyadic.

But, you can feel free to write any way you choose. I'll just assume you're talking to a turd in your pocket. :)

kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin