[lbo-talk] More on Wikipedia: Now the US army is whitewashing myarticles

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 09:43:39 PDT 2005

I'm not a critic of Chomksy - I admire him. But he is not being sarcastic in acknowledging that there was a Cambodian genocide committed. [ My view is that if the U.S. had not bombed Camboida to hell, either Pol Pot would never have come to power, or his organization would have had to go through the same transformation Mao's communist party did - become less ideological, more pragmatic - an opposition that could rally deep popular support.] As it was, the U.S. supported Lon Nol government was so brutal, and the U.S. bombings even more so that everyone was driven into the arms of Pol Pot - including the Cambodian royal family. They gained power without ever having had to adapt their ideology to reality. IMO, that is the root of the brutality behind the Cambodia genocide. And the U.S. can't escape it's responsibility for this. But it is plain nuts to deny there was an internal genocide. Chomsky does not deny this. At one point he was extremely skeptical and did in fact expose a number of false stories. But he acknowledges the fundamental truth of Pol Pot as genocidal mass murderer. The following statement about the "gentle and peaceful" are indeed sarcastic - and were not quoted by me, but by you - which hardly leaves you in a position to accuse me of not understanding sarcasm. Noam's main point of course is that a comparable genocide took place in East Timor at the same time (comparable in percent of population, not absolute numbers.) And his secondary point is the U.S. responsbility - though the emphasis in his analysis is of brutality breeding brutality, whereas I think that the brutality came as much from a highly ideological group coming to power without having their brutality tempered by reality.

In this respect I don't think Hinton's analysis can be taken seriously - I don't think there was something inherent in the Cambodian culture that brought this about. And when one of the factors he advances are the lack of Christian influence in the culture ...

Lastly I will note that this post and my previous one on this list are the only times I have ever taken part in this debate. I spend a lot more time analyzing and fighting U.S crimes. But when I saw some damned idiot denying the Cambodian holocaust took place, I lost my temper and commented. I don't know why idiots on my side get my goat more than the idiots on the other side. I suppose I have expectation that being a leftist means opposing genocide no matter who commits it - as Noam does.