[lbo-talk] Broken link

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 18:45:27 PDT 2005

On 7/18/05, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> It's the first N hits you'll see. And if you look through the first
> 40-50 hits, you won't see anyone else saying 'These Yalies are State
> Department stooges!' ...
I didn't say they were State Department stooges, I'm just noting who funded the project. And when they started funding it (Khmer Rouge related funding prior meant funding being sent TO the Khmer Rouge).

> Have you seen it before? Because if you have, it sure seemed like you
> didn't.

I didn't see anything on the link that was posted. I have read Ben Kiernan's books before, and I have been on this web site before, but not within the past few months. I said "let us take a look at this web site, shall we?" for those who have never seen it before. None of this discussion has anything to do of course with Cambodia, of course, because there's really nothing much there. A 1962 census? Statements that Khmer Rouge took over in April 1975, without even mentioning the existence of Sihanouk (who was head of state from April 1975 on). And so on. When you have nothing to offer, go for the ad hominem, go for mud-throwing.

> Answer the question: does Pol Pot accurately deserve the title "mass
> murderer" or not? No squiggling out of it by talking about 500,000 tons
> of bombs or whether there was a valid census in 1980.
>
> "Just 'yes' or 'no' ..."

Well let me consult the New York Times from May 19, 1925 (his birthday) to May Day, 1977. I see one mention of the name Pol Pot, on August 1st, 1976. What I think scarcely matters to what happened. I would answer your question with a question, if Pol Pot deserves the title "mass murderer", why do we hear his name only once in that period? You seem to be personally assigning blame of a supposed mass murder to someone who anyone had scarcely heard of while this supposed mass murder was happening.

What I am reading here is pretty silly, and it is almost making my responses in that manner as what happened in Cambodia is not really being discussed. Why don't you lay out a groundwork of what happened in Cambodia. Although it seems you don't care about bombs or censuses, you seem to want to have some kind of Paul Berman moment or something.

Lance