[lbo-talk] Low Life (was "Come friendly bombers" )

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 18 19:16:38 PDT 2005

Doug said:

>There's evidence that a combination of rising educational attainment and
>declining economic prospects can lead to terrorism.

I think I can see where this is coming from: educated people have high expectations for their lives then the economy pulls the rug out from under those expectations so there's a "reaction," right?Then how does that explain the 9-11 bombers? They were "middle class", well educated men, but I don't recall it being said they or their families had suddenly hit hard times.

Could they see themselves as attacking those who "made" the Middle East "poor" and meddled in its affairs to the detriment of ME culture and pride? Poverty would be an indirect cause for terrorists who harbour that sort of ideology, wouldn't it?

As for the London bombings, without some "iron clad" proof that Iraq wasn't _the_ big reason behind it (ie rich white Western countries pushing around a poor ME country filled with lots of "fellow Muslims"), it does make a certain sense that it could be. Why nitpick at this point, Doug?

Could there also be, apropos Chris' mention of certain Muslims happily killing other Muslims for not being "real" Muslims, a feeling of "religious solidarity" (comfortably felt at a distanct), instead of an "ethnic solidarity" (along the lines that Charles mentioned), that the London bombers could have for "Muslim" Iraqis?

Todd

PS: Hey there, Mr. Doss! How about answering my questions!