[lbo-talk] Identity wars, was fartback

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 06:40:06 PDT 2005

there's some parallel here with other historical dualities. While the US student movement of the 1960s was anti-war, anti-racist, environmentalist, edging toward anti-imperialist and anti-sexist, etc., the Weimar German student movement of the late 1920s and early 1930s went in a completely different direction. (The old "god that failed" folks made a big thing about the parallel, using the latter movement to dis the former. But that's irrelevant,and self-serving.)

On 7/19/05, Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:
> I agree, but I don't have to subscribe to the content or direction of
> Islamic fundamentalists to see some parallels. The Cubans revolutionary
> leadership were the disaffected bourgeois, intellectuals, lawyers,
> doctors, bureaucratic elites---the more advanced and advantaged.
>
> While the goals or content of the various Muslim reactionary movements
> are different, the class (the sociological dynamics) involved is
> pretty similar: disaffected professionals, the more advanced and
> advantaged, often drawn from a westernized technocratic class.

-- Jim Devine "Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" -- Richard Feynman