[lbo-talk] A time of doubt for atheists

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jul 19 11:41:55 PDT 2005

Tom Kelly:
> Speaking as an
> ex-atheist, I actually never got anything out of atheism except an excuse
> bitch about a deity I _claimed_ I did not believe in.

I guess nothing is more ardent than a newly found faith of a proselyte, more Catholic than the pope, as they say, so mere arguments will not get very far - but how do you explain the fact that societies that are largely free from insecurities also show decline of religiosity? Do you also consider the work of Malinowski linking insecurity to religion in primitive societies a bunch of hogwash? How about Emile Durkheim equating religion with institutional organization of society?

I think there is plenty of evidence that the priestly class is a bunch of parasites pr(a)eying (pun intended) on human misery, uncertainty, and emotional needs for closure and connectedness.

Wojtek