[lbo-talk] Re: Identity wars, was fartback

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 15:21:26 PDT 2005

--- Leigh Meyers <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote: These are pictures of the "Gateway to Makka" that the pilgrims see upon arrival at the end of their journey. It was built with money provided by SaudiAramco. They, and the Saudi Government are quite proud of it with it's NEON LIT KORAN pointed at the sky, and major freeway running beneath it.

--

I love you Leigh, but--

here I see evidence that al-Riyadh has really bad aesthetic sensibilities and needs huge highways to accomodate the binzillions of people going on the haj. How is this the fault of globalization.

I think the homogenization of cultures through globalization trope is overrated. Doesn't seem to have happened in Rwanda. I'm going to the Don next week to hang out with the Cossacks, and I'll let people know if they think listening to Brittney Spears means they don't do the squat-and-leg-thrust dance.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs