[lbo-talk] New German Left Party Overtakes Greens

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Jul 19 19:46:06 PDT 2005

> This is interesting. Any one have a feel for what this coalition
> represents? Are they just using radical rhetoric to sell a variation
> on the same-old, or are they "left" in a meaningful way compared to
> the social dems?

No, no, this is for real -- it emerged out of the independent Left in the western part of Germany, lots of union organizers, and the PDS in the eastern parts of Germany, and a very rich local culture of Left civic activism, which has taken root everywhere in Germany, plus dissatisfaction with the neolib SPD. And the Greens themselves have to take their share of blame, because they didn't resist Schroeder's welfare cuts like they should have. I know this was a tactical decision, in order to get the SPD's support for other issues, but still... The Left Party is talking openly about taxing the rich, controlling capital, re-regulating markets, etc. in a way which the other parties aren't.

-- DRR