[lbo-talk] Leigh flips out

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Jul 19 20:22:41 PDT 2005

In a message dated 7/19/05 7:12:08 PM, lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org writes:
>You, me, others on the left may not like who they vote for but,
>over half of the world now lives under regimes that have parliamentary
>democratic, electoral systems.
>http://www.google.com/search?q=global%20wave%20of%20democracy
> Read up pieces by Larry Diamond, in those "hits". His new book on
>advising the CPA in Iraq, is harsh as it s/b on the neo-cons.
> I wasn't expecting such cynicism from Jenny.

So now the wave of democracy includes Iraq? I'm not cynical about democracy, I think it's bursting out in movements across the globe and notably has considerable traction in Venezuela and Bolivia. But I don't think that's the wave your Arab Development Report folks were referring to. I remain unconvinced that voting while the wealth of your country is carted off (or destroyed) equals democracy. And yes, capitalism is preferable to feudalism but there's nothing indicating that the U.S. doesn't seeks to create a pliable warlordism pretty much everywhere it's currently occupying. As a feminist, I find it enraging that the U.S. is using the argument that it's freeing women to carry out its predatory program. Feminists in Iraq (the ones that aren't U.S. hirelings) have a few choice words about that.

Also, is it cynicism if you're attempting to describe it while you're fighting it?

I'll google global+wave+of+democracy right after I get finished reading the 10568 results from domestic+tsunami+of+reactionary+weasels.

DRR writes:
>Now that the Empire is coming unglued, I, personally, am going to take the
>greatest delight in kicking the cursed thing on its way down to the lowest
>pit of hell.

Alas there probably is a lot of ruin in an empire, but I'll second that.

Jenny Brown