[lbo-talk] Re: KPFA Agonisties

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 09:56:03 PDT 2005

I don't know what to tell you at this point, other than to say that the KPFA LSB is doing it best to resolve this situation and the concerns of the staff have to be balanced against the interests of the listeners and what is deemed to be in the best political interests of the institution. I do not approach this a zero sum game. I do think (or hope) that a 'third way' is possible. I think one key institutional problem is that there has been no program director at KPFA for years. As such, the GM by default becomes acting Program Director and is under more pressure than he/she normally would be. If an acting PD could be put in place, I think this would ameliorate the problem significantly.

I would also remind you that I have been one of Roy's sharpest critics, and remain so in many respects, so I hardly come at this issue from the position of being 'pro-Roy'. Indeed, as I have said before, what is interesting about this picture is the split within the pro-management faction of the LSB (which certainly does not include me) and the pro-staff faction who, when we were last debating this issue around election time were allied on a slate called KPFA Forward. The pro-listener faction (which I am part of) has always been leery of Roy, but at this point, it is our sense that there is more to the 'Roy must go' campaign than meets the eye.

It is my current opinion (subject to change based on additional information) that the problems that some staff have with Roy is symptomatic of a deeper malaise at the station, and that simply removing him (putting aside for a moment the debate over whether or not it is warranted) will not necessarily get us where we need to go. If there is a problem with an unsafe work environment, for example, then it would make more sense to approach the problem comprehensively, rather than only to focus on the GM, (even though anyone in that position should be held to higher standard) and certainly if Roy is to be sanctioned then so must Weyland (or do you think Weyland, as an employee, should not be accountable for his actions?) Otherwise the problem will never be effectively resolved. I also think it is important to keep in mind what happened to the last GM, Gus Newport, another 'outsider' GM who, according to his account, met with the same sort of resistance from staff and was forced to quit within less than a year. I also think it is clear that we have a different interpretation of the mission of Pacifica, but I think both views have a place.

Joe W.