[lbo-talk] Western states have created the biggest wars in history ( was fartback)

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:29:56 PDT 2005

On 7/20/05, Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> And CB has of coarse looked at scholarly sources on this.And read
> up on the 2-3 million killed in the Congo in the 90's, 800,000 in
> Rwanda, slaughter in Algeria,

I'm not sure how dumb Pugliese thinks the people he is trying to peddle this on are. These are all countries which are poster children of what happens as a result of western imperialism. The Congo was colonized by Belgium, and Mobutu was put in place by Belgium (and the US). How about the 1964 massacre in Stanleyville? Rwanda is another basket case - the German and Belgian's local overseers, the Tutsis, tried to overthrow the government in 1990, and the Hutus attempts to prevent this subjugation is called a "genocide" for defending themselves against this attack. In which the west took the side of their former overseers, what a surprise. Do I even have to go into France and Algeria? There could have been a slaughter in France over Algeria in the 1950's over Algeria, forget Algeria.

And you're trying to use the political troubles decades after more decades of colonialism (which continues in a more subdued form right up to the present) as an example of what can happen in countries not touched by western influence? Please.