[lbo-talk] China's growth

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 02:42:51 PDT 2005

> Because China's growing like crazy, and has been for
> 20 years; wages
> are low but workers are productive; and the
> infrastructure is good (I
> hear India's jealous).

Russia's been growing like mad since 1998; wages are low (higher than in China though). It's true though that productivity is low. I imagine corruption is a factor.

> What's Russia got besides oil, rocks, and trees?

If by "rocks" you mean diamonds and natural gas -- ALROSA is the second-largest diamond company in the world, Norilsk Nickel is the largest palladium-metals company in the world (if I remember aright), this new Gazprom-Yukos thing is the world's largest energy company...

And don't forget the weapons!

They're building a huge techopark in Dubna, near Moscow, which was a closed scientific city in Soviet times. Be interesting to see what happens to it.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!