[lbo-talk] Re: ali vs liston

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Fri Jul 22 07:25:51 PDT 2005

>He outwitted Foreman
> in Zaire,

That's an understatement. What he did in Zaire was pure genius IMHO.

Thomas

And then some. Many people forget just how frightening Foreman was during his prime, primarily because of Foreman's comeback as the roly-poly, wise-crackin' preacher man. In his youth Big George was much more dominating than Tyson ever was. Foreman was huge and so powerful he seemed inhuman. In When We Were Kings, Norman Mailer says that watching Foreman hit the heavy bag was one of the most amazing things he ever saw in his life: Mailer couldn't believe any man could stand up to even one of those shots. Foreman nearly killed Frazier, literally knocking him off his feet. He knocked Norton half-way across the ring into the ropes, like some silly stunt in a Rocky film. Many people thought Foreman was going to seriously injure Ali, if not kill him. But Ali won, as much by the force of his personality as by his skill in the ring. It was Ali's apotheosis, the moment he was crowned "King of the World." We won't see anything like that again.