[lbo-talk] Liston vs Ali and other conspiracies

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 22 13:03:24 PDT 2005

Daniel Davies wrote: "But in order to get from [all the curious anomalies about 7/7], to the conclusion that it was all put together by British security forces, you would need a *lot* of intermediate premises, none of which seem to me to be well-supported."

I absoluely agree. It is entirely possible that the British authorities are just as clueless about what happened as the rest of us. Thing is. just as there is a reflexive 'Ali Qaeda and the Forty Thieves did it' school of thought, there is also a reflexive, "we cannot believe them anymore given all the lies, and, given that they have done such things before, who is to say they did not do it themselves" school of thought. I think that both approaches are problematic. However, given that the discourse on 'terrorism' in the 21st Century has become so polarized, the moment you step in either direction, whichever school of thought you do not subscribe you dismisses you as a 'an apologist for empire' on the one hand, or 'a conspiracy theorist' on the other.

Again, all I am saying is let us remain open minded about what has happened, while acknowledging whatever biases we might have.

Joe W.