[lbo-talk] Why Not Sell WBAI?

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Jul 22 13:46:25 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Perelman" <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu>

-What left organization has shown the capacity to absorb such an amount of money & put -it to good use. Why not just send the proceeds to a select group of administrators & -advisors & be done with it.

What left group has that amount of money? If WBAI became a grant making operation, it would become probably the largest left-oriented, movement oriented foundation in the country.

For comparisons, the generally admirable New World Foundation has only $25 million in assets. The slightly less leftwing Florence and John Schumann Foundation has $60 million. etc.

To have an actual movement-based left group handing out far more money so that groups would not have to depend on the big Ford Foundation types, who encourage non-profits not to sound too activist, would make a big difference.

Doug might have hopes that WBAI can turn it around, but I think putting it is a bit insane for the Left to have such an amazingly amount of financial assets sunk in a single city-based asset, when distributing the potential income to a far larger base of different kinds of activism could be much more effective.

I just don't think folks at WBAI want to consider the opportunity cost of holding onto the license.

Nathan Newman