[lbo-talk] RE: Postmortem interrogation?

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 22 13:55:54 PDT 2005

>I thought the London police were supposed to be adept in the use of
>truncheons, effective at stunning. Very few London police carried guns in
>the past.

My guess is that if you're dealing with someone you have good reason to suspect is carrying a load of high explosives in the Underground you don't want them stunned, you want them dead ASAP so there's no opportunity to detonate the explosives. As noted earlier, better one post mortem than a whole bunch of them. FWIW my brother in-law was a cop in Toronto; he has said that the tactical unit and anyone else carrying a gun is trained in hostage situations that if they do have to shoot, shoot for the brain stem, so any remaining messages from the brain to pull the trigger/pin/blade etc. don't make it to the hand. I believe too that doing this also shuts down reflexive muscle spasms that might pull a trigger or whatever.

>In any event the UK authorities need info more than a body count. Another
>case for the files of Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Well this one won't be, but there may be as many as 3 more still at large from yesterday that may. Unlike the U.S a dead suspect/perpetrator is the exception, not the norm in the UK, I suspect the cop who killed this guy really does feel bad, even if it turns out he was a walking bomb.

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon