[lbo-talk] A time of doubt for atheists

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 02:48:31 PDT 2005

--- Autoplectic <autoplectic at gmail.com> wrote;

> --------------------
>
> Whoah, wtf is an aggressive atheist? I've
> encountered far too many
> Jehovah's witness in my life and they're pretty hard
> to beat in terms
> of belligerence when it comes to a/theology and what
> one
> researcher/writer has called 'the arrogance of
> faith.' Hell, even
> Mormons don't come close to such fervor.
>
> Ian

Yeah that's true. My grandmother is a JW, unfortunately, and they are off the scale. The're the Lumpen of Christianity. I love how their brochures show a lot of smiling white people and one or two black people, like there's a quota in heaven.

You know what I mean by "aggressive" -- "are you or have you ever been religious? Religion is for the stupid and the weak (99% of the world's population is stupid and weak, apparently). If you are religious, then therefore there must be something wrong with you. Religion is the enemy of mankind." I have friends who are in religious orders (one of whom is working on Zizek), a product of my having attended a Catholic university in grad school. They are quite smart and not the enemies of mankind.

It's really really intolerant. God knows if I were religious I would be hesitant about bringing it up on this list. I would instantly be attacked as a "Christer" or something.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!