[lbo-talk] Bloomberg

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Jul 23 11:09:09 PDT 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I work out my beef with the media concentration line at
> <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Why_TV_sucks.html>. It's pretty telling
> that Alterman couldn't come up with a serious example. At that point,
> Bloomberg owned something of an upstart media company, and he might even have
> had some material interest in supporting the concentration line.
>
> Doug

As I understand media analysts like McChesney, the "media concentration" line consists of two parts:

1. The ownership of media outlets is becoming increasingly concentrated in the hands of a few major media conglomerates (Time-Warner, Disney, etc).

2. This concentrated ownership leads to less diversity in media content and tends to filer out or marginalize content that challenges the status quo (Chomsky and Herman).

The evidence for #1 is strong; is #2 what you're questioning? Or is there another component to the argument?

Miles