[lbo-talk] London police shot South American?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 15:05:48 PDT 2005

Of course, I won't claim to have any special insights but on the day of the shooting, as I listened to the BBC I noted how at least two of the interviewed witnesses emphasized how "terrified" the man looked.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. It seemed to me that a suicide bomber (if that's what they believed him to be), facing police pursuit and perhaps death in any event if the cops exercised their right to use lethal force, might just detonate his payload and be done with it. The eye-witnesses seemed haunted by the fact the man appeared to be so frightened.

It stood out in their minds.

But you know, I wasn't there and I'm not an expert and benefit of the doubt to law enforcement under tough circumstances and all that sort of necessary caution.

That seemed to be the right attitude at the time.

Hopefully, this will cause a reconsideration of the shoot-to-kill suspected terrorists policy that's either already in place or evolving.

London surely doesn't want to find itself in the American spot...you know, where grandmothers in the 'wrong house', nervous immigrants reaching for IDs and random black folks have all been known to be shot dead in the course of our noble 'war on drugs'.

.d.

-- http://monroelab.net/ <<<<<>>>>> groove to my groove