[lbo-talk] A time of doubt for atheists

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jul 24 10:08:06 PDT 2005

At 12:35 PM 7/24/2005, Jim Devine wrote:
>Maybe some people feel personally attacked when religion is attacked
>(as with "f*ck god")?

Is there some reason that should be viewed as an attack?

Jeffrey Fisher and I already discussed this, but I'm curious what you think.

Is there some reason anyone has to respect religion -in the LBO space that is? I don't have to respect people who are libertarians or anarchists or conspiracy theorists and treat their views as something that's off limits from ridicule, criticism, attack, critical engagement.... I can say, "Fuck rightwing nuts" or "Fuck libertarians" or "fuck hippies" or "fuck yuppies" and, when challenged, I can explain what I mean (if I actually had those views that is).

E.g., someone might be able to make a coherent argument that "yuppies" (however they define them) are not to be understood as a social strata that has any progressive potential at all or someone else might say they are. (such as with the debates of the potential of the "new class" in the 70s and as occurs in some of Marx's writings when he analyzes which side various 'classes' (his word in the translations) will fall as capitalism advances through various crises.

Anyway, curious what you think. Do you think, as I said to Carrol, that we are so conditioned in this culture to believe that religious views are private and shouldn't be subject to the same rules as, say, political ideology. What I've seen with Tommy Kelly recently, is _only_ that someone questioned his argument for the existence of god.

Kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin