[lbo-talk] Hillary takes chair of DLC's American Dream project

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 25 12:56:34 PDT 2005

For Immediate Release: Monday, July 25th

SEN. HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON ACCEPTS POSITION AS CHAIR OF THE DLC's 'AMERICAN DREAM INITIATIVE'

COLUMBUS, OHIO -- DLC Chair Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack announced today, Monday July 25th, that Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) will Chair the American Dream Initiative, a special project of the Democratic Leadership Council. The announcement took place during the General Session of the DLC's National Conversation, an annual event that brings together Democratic leaders from across the nation to talk about innovative ideas and strategies for governing in their states and communities. This year, over 300 elected officials from 40 states were in attendance.

The American Dream Initiative is a year-long project of the DLC that will engage political, business, labor, civic and intellectual leaders in a "national conversation" to help shape a positive agenda for our country and the Democratic party. The Initiative will focus on challenges facing America including, keeping our country safe, building an opportunity society, standing up for families and making sure our political and electoral systems work for all Americans.

Gov. Vilsack said: "I have asked Sen. Clinton to Chair a special project at the DLC called the American Dream Initiative. I'm very happy to announce that she has accepted, and I look forward to working together to shape a positive agenda for the country. Sen. Clinton's expertise on policy issues and deep understanding of the challenges we face as a party and as a nation make her an ideal person to lead this important effort."

Sen. Clinton said: "I am proud to take on the task of leading the American Dream Initiative for the DLC because its mission goes to the heart of why I am a Senator, and what I believe about public service - that we are here to leave our children a richer, safer and stronger land than we inherited from our parents. I look forward to working with Gov. Vilsack and all interested Americans on this project."

For more information about the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) or the American Dream Initiative, please visit: <http://www.dlc.org> or call the DLC Press Office at 202.546.0007.

Kyra Jennings Deputy Press Secretary Democratic Leadership Council Progressive Policy Institute 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE Suite 400 Washington, DC 20003