[lbo-talk] more on The Split

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Jul 26 10:03:09 PDT 2005

The takedown of Arnold did not seem to be the handiwork of the Democrats, but of Arnold himself. He seemed invincible -- almost an action hero of politics. He got away with a lot of crap all the Democrats seem to just look on. His proposed pension scheme hurt policemen and firefighters. That seemed to be the opening wedge. Attacking nurses as being the problem with the health-care system was not particularly smart either. Once he appeared vulnerable, the mystique began to crumble -- sort of like in the movies where the bullied kid finally stands up for himself.