[lbo-talk] more on The Split

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 13:12:20 PDT 2005

Charles:
> When the union's inspiration,
>
> Through the workers' blood shall run,
>
> When the rabbit's got the gun,
>
> We'll have some real fun.

to quote the Malthusian Musical (Urinetown: the Musical), "don't be the bunny!"

the entire lyrics of this social-Darwinist anthem:

[Cladwell -- the evil capitalist monopolist, singing] A little bunny in the meadow Is nibbling grass without a care He's so delightful as he hops for you You say, "Hi, bunny" And he stops for you You pull your trigger And he drops for you Goodbye, bunny-boo Hello, rabbit stew!

Get me, boys?

[Staff] You tell 'em, boss!

[Cladwell] Don't be the bunny Don't be the stew Don't be the dinner You have better things to do That's why it's funny So take your cue Don't be the bunny Don't be the bunny

[Hope -- the capitalist's daughter, spoken] But Daddy, we're talking about people, not animals.

[Cladwell, spoken] People are animals, Hope dear.

[Hope, spoken] Animals with huge incisors and big floppy feet?

[Cladwell] Look closely, you'll see them. I do. I see them...everywhere.

A little bunny at a toll booth He needs a measly fifty cents Our little bunny didn't plan ahead Poor bunny simply hasn't got the bread He begs for mercy, but gets jail instead Hasenpfeffer's in the air As the bunny gets the chair!

See the moral, people?

[Staff] Clear as day, boss!

[Cladwell] Don't be the bunny Don't be the dope Don't be the loser You're much better than that, Hope! You're born to pow'r You're in the money! Advice to you

[McQueen and Fipp -- part of the staff] In Re: The Bunny

[Cladwell] Don't be the bunny

[Hope, spoken] A little bunny at a tollbooth?

[Cladwell, spoken] You heard me.

[Hope, spoken] But Daddy, bunnies don't drive cars.

[Cladwell, spoken] Oh, don't they?!

[Hope, spoken] No, actually, I don't think they do.

[Cladwell, spoken] Live long enough, Hope dear, you see...many things.

[Hope, spoken] Even a daughter doubting her father?

[Cladwell, singing] A little bunny in a shoe box He thinks he's found a brand new home So snug and cozy on your closet floor Now what's that bunny in my closet for? With a mallet and some clippers You find out: new bunny slippers!

Grasp the message, staff?

[Staff] Right behind you, boss!

[Cladwell and Staff] Don't be the bunny Don't be the shoe You don't get stepped on -

[Cladwell] No, the one who steps is you!

[Cladwell and Staff] You're stepping up To where it's sunny Step on the poor! Don't be the bunny! Don't be the bunny! Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah!

JD