[lbo-talk] Teamsters quit AFL-CIO

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 13:38:20 PDT 2005

It's been awhile since I read that stuff. But I found the diagrams and some of the terms in Erik Ohlin Wright's contribution to be useful (up to a point). People like me -- profs -- are in a "contradictory class position" between the cappos and the proles. It's kind of like being petty bourgeois without owning much if any productive property.

EOW's later stuff -- where he brought in Roemerian individualism -- isn't as useful. JD

On 7/26/05, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> The original article in Radical America was absurd, and the
> classification remains absurd now. _Real_ managers (CEOs, CFOs, etc.,
> perhaps a bit lower on the corporate ladder, are simply members of the
> capitalist class. Their salaries are merely are a share in surplus
> value, and much of their income is fairly overtly capitalist income. As
> to the statistics you quote, there is no way to determine from them
> where the division between managers as capitalists and managers as
> skilled workers lies. Neither is there anyway to divide "professionals"
> into skilled workers and independent professionals. The whole breakdown
> is essentially useless for political analysis and planning.

-- Jim Devine "Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" -- Richard Feynman