[lbo-talk] Shot dead in London

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 13:59:50 PDT 2005

> Interesting. 50+ people get blown into pieces and you & fellow travelers
> are scrambling for excuses. A one person gets killed by the police in what
> clearly was a tragic accident and you cannot wait to "convey outrage and
> astonishment." What is wrong with you, people? Common sense abandoned you
> for good?

Frankly, I don't get this. The people I've read on lbo-talk seem to be trying to _understand_ what's going on. That's different from looking for "excuses." No-one on the list (that I know of) _likes_ the terrorism of Islamic extremists.

And what is this about "fellow travelers"? are we in the Truman-McCarthy era or something?

Carl writes:>De Menezes' untimely death at the hands of the London branch of the Keystone Kops was no "accident" -- it was the completely predictable result of Bush-Blair's criminal war on Iraq.<

This makes sense to me. Though specific events always have multiple causes, both the terrorism and the police murder of de Menezes are relatively predictable effects of the war against Iraq.

The only thing missing is that we're riding on a deadly dialectic. The "Crusader" occupation of Iraq encourages the terrorism of Islamic extremists. This in turn encourages more brutality by the police... which in turn alienates the Islamic population, so that terroristic tactics become more popular ... which in turn encourages police-state tactics. It ends up being yet another intensification of what old Wilhelm Reich termed "the moral plague." -- Jim Devine "Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" -- Richard Feynman