[lbo-talk] is this normal

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 26 14:36:44 PDT 2005

So, the process server showed up after 5 yesterday. We weren't home. He left a message, taking the number of the car for sale -- as if he didn't have our home or business phone.

This doesn't make sense.Why would the guy not have our phone number?

He says he'll be over today and he's still not here. I called him at 4:00, he said he'd be here in 2 hrs.

I get a phone call from the lawyer saying ex-exploiter will cut a deal. He's already seen that I've removed offending materials. There were a couple I didn't catch apparently, so he wants to fax me a list so I can take care of it.

Alrighty. I want this albatross of my back.

He says it's important I do so because they have a hearing scheduled for tomorrow. Um, how is it that I get served paper, at earliest on a Monday, and have to be in court by Wednesday.

This can't possibly be correct? Obviously, it's a strong arm tactic, but could they have actually done this?

Anyway, he says they'll stop the whole thing temporarily once the stuff is down so we don't have to go to court and apparently do so without an attorney because who is going to represent us on short notice without coughing up cash we don't have? Of course, real great if we don't show up or if we show up without an attorney.

What in HELL is going on? Could they be tricking us into doing this? Wouldn't this be against the law.

Whatever. When I get my head screwed on straight, I will apparently have to set up the legal defense fund since, obviously, I cannot afford a 10k retainer for this ridiculous jaunt through hell.

Oh, another thing, I did start calling attorneys. One guy told me that, normally, you are given 20 days. What? Did he get some kind of waiver because he could claim some enormous damages or something? Like what? The lousy $200 I made making Max's site? Wow. I got rich off Max's site and really took business away from him. Big damages!

As I understand it, if he never registered the material as copyrighted, then he can only sue for financial damages. How can he be damaged for material that's been on a web site for a month? I don't get it.

Yeah, yeah. they are strong arming me. Whatever. I want this twisted person out of my life and I want to move on and forget I ever wasted six years of my life.

Kelley

"Finish your beer. There are sober kids in India."

-- rwmartin