[lbo-talk] Teamsters quit AFL-CIO

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 15:36:06 PDT 2005

It's a little more than amusing to watch Mr. Henwood flit and float between objective and subjective, from bourgeois labor stats to the imagined subjectivities of "the human psyche" to defend his dear "middle class". Though I suppose those of us who already identify as workers should be satisfied enough to hear a self-styled "left" economic analyist resort to defining the middle class as "between things"-- one would guess that's enough of a retraction from any previous illusions. Non-exec managerial types in the United States are a threatened breed-- thousands have already been proletarianized (Enron, anyone?), and more will follow them. Way to go down with the sinking ship. The middle class is an hourglass, not a beach.

We wonder why we cannot organize a left movement (or, hell, even a successful liberal movement around John Kerry) around the "middle class".... Perhaps it's because there exists no MEANINGFUL economic and social basis for any such thing!

By far, the largest, most demographically significant ACTUAL economic class is the WORKING CLASS. And anyone left behind in the fallout of exhausted imperialism with aspirations otherwise won't be too shocked when the proverbial plunger handle is up their ass.