[lbo-talk] Teamsters quit AFL-CIO

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 16:00:05 PDT 2005

I wrote:>> It's been awhile since I read that stuff. But I found the diagrams and some of the terms in Erik Ohlin Wright's contribution to be useful (up to a point). People like me -- profs -- are in a "contradictory class position" between the cappos and the proles. It's kind of like being petty bourgeois without owning much if any productive property.<<

>Wow, Jim, sounds to me like you're a good ole developed-country WORKER! <

not really. Tenure means never having to say you're sorry. I don't have to worry about the reserve army at all.

>Don't worry: just because you're a professor doesn't make you any
better than the rest of us.<

I never said I was any better. In some ways, profs are worse, engaged in individualistic competition all the time. Meanwhile, the Supremes' Yeshiva decision keeps me out of a union. (The AAUP was useless here, as was the Faculty Senate's faculty pay committee.) -- Jim Devine "Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" -- Richard Feynman